Virginia Mason’s Blog

January 22, 2009

Get me to the doctor’s on time

Filed under: Uncategorized — virginiamason @ 10:27 am

Had to be in Boston for a 9:00 am appointment, which meant being at the bus station at 6:30. Okay, so far, so good. Bus should get to South Station at 8:00. It takes 30 minutes to walk to my appointment. That leaves 30 minutes to find a quick breakfast. Thank heavens for Whole Foods, which is across the street from my appointment. With me so far? Everything running smoothly (except for freezing to death, negotiating iced sidewalks, bracing the stiff wind).

Glitch 1: Bus runs into terrific traffic and arrives at South Station 35 minutes late. Uh oh, 25 minutes for a 30 minute walk. Which turns into a 25-minute trot (over those icy sidewalks, in that bracing wind). Which also means no time for breakfast. This isn’t an end-of-the-world catastrophe, but the ensuing low blood sugar can get ugly. Arrive at the building and find Glitch 2.

Glitch 2: Building is surrounded by fire trucks with tall ladders reaching up to the 7th or 8th floor. Firemen everywhere. Also patients of the doctors whose offices are in said building. We all have to wait outside while the firemen do their thing. It’s still cold and the wind is still blowing, however. And I’m no longer going to make my appointment on time. Oh well, not my fault. Eventually they let us into the building.

Glitch 3: Run to the elevators. They aren’t working. The power’s not back on, so all us cattle are herded up the stairs. For me, to the 6th floor. Trudge, trudge. Trudge, trudge. Pant, pant. Trudge, trudge. Pant, pant. Panting aside, get there in good time. Go to the check-in desk, where I now have to wait some more.

Glitch 4: I’m waiting at the desk because the computers are all down. “No power” will do that. No power means no lights, either, and some of the reception rooms have no windows. Really atmospheric. I finally get to the proper waiting room, where I’m (eventually) told that, since there’s no power, the machines they use are also not running. Moreover, the power might not be restored the entire day. Swell. For this I got up at 5:45am?

They say (well, Shakespeare said) “all’s well that ends well.” My ophthalmologist asked me to stay around a bit. As I was there, it seemed like I might as well stay. Turns out that there were about 4 rooms on that floor that inexplicably had power. So they were trying to cram all the patients into those 4 rooms. The place is really crowded at the best of times, so I figured I’d be there awhile. And I was. But I did get to see the 2 doctors I needed to see. Eyes are doing what they’re supposed to be doing, so at least I got some peace of mind to offset the low-blood-sugar irritability.

Finally got home at 2:45. Elapsed time: 8+ hours, for a measly medical check-up. Whew. Do I have an exciting life or what?


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

%d bloggers like this: